Before completing the application form, please read all of the following information and instructions.
To download this document in an electronic format, visit www.svcb.cc.
If you have questions, would prefer the application in braille, or need assistance filling out the application, please leave a voicemail at 1-888-652-5333 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS GRANT?
The purpose of the grant is to ensure greater economic opportunity and a richer quality of life for those who are visually impaired or blind.
The Silicon Valley Council of the Blind (SVCB) will award a grant of up to $1,500 to visually impaired or blind individuals who can best demonstrate the need for access technology that will improve their quality of life or advance their educational and/or employment opportunities.
Examples of items that the grant might fund include, but are not limited to:
- Computers and appropriate access software
- Braille notetakers and displays
- Accessible bar code readers
- Accessible cell phones
- Magnifying systems
- Hearing aids and audiologist fees
- Mobility aids and instruction
- Accessible medical aids
WHO WAS BARBARA RHODES?
Barbara Rhodes, a respected and valued member of SVCB for many years and a born advocate, was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa midway through her adult life. She worked tirelessly thereafter on various committees to improve the health, safety, and quality of life for the visually impaired and blind community.
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE GRANT?
The qualifications for the grant are as follows:
- You are visually impaired or blind
- You are a resident of one of the following counties: Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, or San Benito
- You are sixteen years of age or older
- You are planning to use the technology for educational, vocational, or quality of life purposes
- You have not received the Barbara Rhodes grant within the past five years
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE GRANT?
To apply for the grant, you need to complete the following steps:
- Submit a completed application form, which must be postmarked no later than April 30, 2020. Click here to download an application document in MS Word format or click here to print from the web.
- Prepare a 200-word personal statement in one of the following formats:
- Hard-copy typed and double-spaced
- Hard-copy braille
- An electronic format such as docx, doc, rtf, or txt
Instructions for preparing your personal statement are listed below the application form.
WHAT IS THE SELECTION PROCESS?
Upon receipt of all applications and personal statements, SVCB's Barbara Rhodes Technology Grant Committee will review them and choose the finalists. If you are selected, you will be invited to meet with the committee for a personal or telephone interview. The committee will notify the recipient in May, and present the award in a special ceremony at our June 20 general membership meeting.