Before completing the application form, please read all of the following information and instructions.
To download this document in an electronic format, visit http://svcb.cc/documents/21-tech-grant.html#download.
If you have questions, would prefer the application in braille, or need assistance filling out the application, please leave a voicemail at 888-652-5333 or send an email to: email@example.com
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS GRANT?
The purpose of this grant is to ensure greater economic opportunity and a richer quality of life for those who are visually impaired or blind.
The Silicon Valley Council of the Blind (SVCB) will award a grant of up to $1,500 to visually impaired or blind individuals who can best demonstrate the need for access technology that will improve their quality of life or advance their educational and/or employment opportunities.
Examples of items that the grant might fund include, but are not limited to:
- Computers and appropriate access software
- Braille notetakers and displays
- Accessible bar code readers
- Accessible cell phones
- Magnifying systems
- Hearing aids and audiologist fees
- Mobility aids and instruction
- Accessible medical aids
WHO WAS BARBARA RHODES?
Barbara Rhodes, a respected and valued member of SVCB for many years and a born advocate, was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa midway through her adult life. She worked tirelessly thereafter on various committees to improve the health, safety, and quality of life for the visually impaired and blind community.
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS GRANT?
The qualifications for this grant are as follows:
- You are visually impaired or blind
- You are a resident of one of the following counties: Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, or San Benito
- You are sixteen years of age or older
- You are planning to use the technology for educational, vocational, or quality of life purposes
- You have not received the Barbara Rhodes grant within the past five years
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THIS GRANT?
To apply for this grant, you need to complete the following steps:
- Submit a completed application form, which must be postmarked no later than Thursday March 31, 2022.
- Prepare a 200-word personal statement in one of the following formats:
- An electronic format such as docx, doc, rtf, or txt
- Hard-copy typed and double-spaced
- Hard-copy braille
Instructions for preparing your personal statement are listed in the application form.
WHAT IS THE SELECTION PROCESS?
Upon receipt of all applications and personal statements, SVCB's Barbara Rhodes Technology Grant Committee will review them and choose the finalists. If you are selected, you will be invited to meet with the committee for a personal or telephone interview. The committee will notify the recipient in May 2022, and present the award in a special ceremony at our June 2022 general membership meeting.